Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Last Frontier!

Oh my gosh, what a difference a few weeks can make! This is the new view from my window - the mountains in Alaska! BTW, this was taken at almost 10 pm!



In mid-May Andy emailed a Human Resources consulting firm in Alaska regarding a job they had posted. One week, two phone interviews and a face-to-face meeting later, and he had the job - and he was to start June 1st!



After consulting with several moving companies, we decided it was more "economically feasible" for us to sell 90% of what we owned and then ship the remaining 10% via a moving truck. The one thing we couldn't/wouldn't sell ... our books. We shipped a total of 48 book boxes (each one was one cubic foot - so these weren't large boxes). We've received the first 8 boxes and I'm eagerly awaiting the rest!



We are currently living just outside of Anchorage, a suburb called Eagle River. The kids and I arrived June 10th, after spending a very exhausting 10 day stretch packing up and getting rid of our belongings. Our NH ward family was amazing! Andy was already in AK, and I was worried about being able to tackle this myself, but I need not have worried. By the time I got to church there were lists going around for meals, babysitting the kids, people to help me pack the house, run stuff to Goodwill or the dump, it was absolutely amazing. When my head was spinning and I couldn't think straight anymore, my wonderful friends made me laugh like little girl again so I could find my strength and keep going. Thank you seems so inept to describe how much I love, and appreciate my sisters in NH. I miss you guys!!



We've been in Alaska for a week now and are getting settled in. We officially got our Internet access going this morning, huge relief as I'm still teaching for University of Phoenix. We are staying at my in-law's condo and it's beautiful! It was so nice to step off the plan and go to a clean, fully furnished place! It has three bedrooms so the girls and the boys no longer share a room - making bed time and nap time much easier.



Alaska is beautiful. The mountains are ... awe inspiring;breath-takingly beautiful. I can't get used to them - and hope I never do. We should never get "comfortable" looking as such magnificent work that Heavenly Father has created. There is an awesome power to the beauty of Alaska. I'll try to capture it with my camera and share it with you.



Through September we'll be staying at the condo. After September we will probably be renting an apartment somewhere. The plan is to build a log cabin type home next summer, provided we sell our house in NH and find a lot here this summer.


Well, it's late and there's a gentle rain now. I need to turn in so I can get up for my run tomorrow. The condo is about 1/2 mile from a nice bike trail that I've already grown fond of running. I have a race this Saturday, only a "5 miler" but I'm hoping I'll be able to meet some other runners to help motivate me this long winter. Oh yes - and my treadmill was one of the 10% of our things we kept!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so glad you had so much help! It is amazing how when we think we just can't handle something alone, we don't have to. I felt the same way in Provo after having a baby, John having finals and having to pack and move in the middle of a blizzard. If it weren't for the Priests Quorum showing up to take care of my little family, I'm not sure we would have rolled out on time at all!

We'll miss having you all out east, but have fun in such a beautiful place. I hope one day we can get out there. I've always wanted to go to Alaska.

The Kinney Clan said...

We are glad you made it out there alive and well! I remember how free we felt when we arrived in NH and lived in a furnished apartment for a few months! It felt like vacation! Say hi to everyone! The ward here is not the same without you!