Monday, February 15, 2010

Ode to the Olympics


We have major Olympic fever at our house. The girls just got done studying Ancient Greece last week so the timing is perfect. We've watched most of the events on NBC and the girls have been taking notes as to the different sports and what they think of them. Great learning opportunity for them.

For me, it's been far more motivational. Andy and I stood up and cheered Apollo Ono on during the speed skating Saturday night. He is so much fun to watch and so exciting! The women's moguls were heartbreaking as athlete after athlete fell on those slippery hills. But having Hannah Kearney from NH and VT win the first US Gold brought us to our feet again.

Today as I watched the winners of the 15K Cross Country ski race collapse as they crossed the finish line, I understood how they felt. I've hit that wall myself (granted it was after running a course that I'm sure these guys could do in their sleep!). Through running though, I know what it's like to push yourself past your limit, past what you thought you could ever do. I know it's more of a mind game than anything else - the minute you think you can't go on, the game is over.

I've struggled greatly with my running this winter. But now, as I watch all these athletes compete against each other, or perhaps more importantly, against themselves, I find myself wanting to join them, to become an athlete again and push myself to achieve what I thought I couldn't. I know I have to be careful now that I'm pregnant, but there is still a lot I can achieve while still being safe.
I'm really enjoying these Olympic games and appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears each and every one of these athletes have shed to reach their goals. Here's to achieve your personal record!

No comments: