(I'll be singing that song all night long now!)



I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things with you. I've already shared my yummy runner's granola in a past blog, here are three more favorite things, in no particular order.
Home-made Wheat Bread
The recipe is a slight variation from the one Sister Hinckley used to make where her kids were young. I once told Andy that if it was good enough for the prophet's family, it's good enough for mine! Here's the recipe, I make this about every other day.
- Dissolve 1T dry yeast in 1/2 c warm water and 1/2 T honey. Let rise.
- Combine: 1.75 c warm water, 1/2 c oil, 1/2 c honey, 5 c wheat flour, 1 c white flower, 1 c powdered milk, 3 eggs, 1 T salt, add yeast mixture when risen. Combine all these in a KitchenAid. This is a very moist dough and would be hard to mix and knead by hand.
- Knead (in KitchenAid) for 8 minutes.
- Let rise one hour.
- Divide into two loaves (oil bottom of pans)
- Let rise one hour.
- Bake at 300 F for 50-60 minutes
- (my favorite part) treat yourself to a piece of the warm bread when done baking- be sure to add a little butter. MMMMMM :)
Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars
This recipe is a version of the one I got from Gwynn Kinney. I make this about twice a week - the kids LOVE them. I might try to sneak in some wheat germ for a little extra protein, but I haven't tried it yet.
- In large bowl combine 3/4 c honey, 8 oz yogurt (any flavor), 2 eggs, 2 T applesauce, 2 T milk, 2 t vanilla. Mix well.
- Add 1.5 c wheat flour, 1 t baking soda, 2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t salt. Mix well.
- Add 3 c oats (not instant) and 1 c craisins, raisins, and/or any other dried fruit you have on hand. Mix well.
- Spoon onto a greased 9x12 casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Now, once you have your warm piece of bread and yummy granola bar, you need to sit down, put your feet up, and feast on a fabulous book. My last favorite for this evening...
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Oh what a fabulous book! I just finished it this morning and LOVED IT! In fact, I just ordered the DVD (BBC version) and can't wait for it to get here! I loved Charlotte's writing (I'm starting her next book, Shirley, tonight). I loved how noble and virtuous Jane was - how committed she was to doing Heavenly Father's will, and how that thread was woven so expertly into this wonderful tale. Books written in the 1700-1800s really are my favorite genre. I've loved the English authors from this time period, I'll have to venture out and explore other works written outside of England during this time period too. Good thing we know have access to a fantastic library! If you haven't read Jane Eyre recently, go grab a copy and lose yourself in a wonderful tale. Thank you Charlotte!
2 comments:
I love catching up with you via your blog! Sounds like you are keeping busy in Alaska! It must be so nice for you to be at home with your babies again! Your bread and granola has inspired me to bake more often...but maybe that will have to wait a few weeks as it finally decided to start getting hot around here! Say HI to everyone from the Kinney Clan!
Hi Gwyn! Yes, I am really enjoying this time with the kids. The girls had camp these past two weeks and the boys and I really missed them! We've turned in our home schooling plan (AK gives us a nice budget each year to do so) and our new books and science equipment are starting to arrive. So exciting!
We're doing well here in AK, but we really, REALLY miss all our friends in NH!
Post a Comment