Wednesday, June 6, 2012

2960 down, 2040 to go!

We're back in the US, back in the US, back in the US of A! (I'd rather be in the USA than USSR, hope The Beatles don't mind).

Today was our late start day so we only got about 460 miles in, but the kiddos enjoyed the pool and giant water slide, so it's all good.  We passed into the US without any trouble (yeah!) and drove diagonally through North Dakota, stopping on the Minnesota line just a smidgen east of Fargo, ND.

As you can imagine, the kiddos are really getting tired of all this driving.  Poor Sammy cries every time we buckle him up in his car seat now. We play the ABC license plate / billboard sign game every time we go though a town - trying to see how many times we can get through the alphabet before we leave the town.  We talk a lot, play 20 questions, we'll finish The Throne of Fire, the 3rd book in The Red Pyramid series tomorrow.  But we don't allow DVDs or gaming systems in the car, preferring the old fashioned books, talking, and listening to CDs instead. We wanted to take this time to really interact with the kids, they are all growing up so fast. 

Our good intentions though, led to a rousing game of "He's touching me!" today, quickly followed by, "STOOOOOOOP!"  Games, I too, have played with David and Robin when we'd drive from Chicago to St. Petersburg to visit my grandparents.  Andy and I are torn between two schools of thought: have no mercy and push through and get there in 3 days, or take a break for a day, get out of the car and do something FUN, then push through.  I keep thinking it's the journey, not the destination, but in reality - it's also the budget.  Luckily, we have LOTS of time to talk about it!  :)

I'm enjoying being back in the real world and paying much more reasonable prices again.  My AK friends - McDonald's cheeseburgers are only $1 here - not the $1.50 we're used to! Milk is cheaper, fruit - oh, so much cheaper, even gas was $1 cheaper a gallon down here.  Amazing.  The one down side to being back amongst civilized society - I really need to do some shopping and start wearing make-up again. Hmm, maybe we should take a day off and go shopping.  Yeah, I'm sure Andy would LOVE that! 

2 comments:

Betty said...

I can't even imagine riding in the car all that distance. I would love to do a road trip but wow that is a lot of miles to cover!!
Your kids are sure good little troopers! Looking forward to seeing all of you sometime this weekend.
Love you,
Mom

Unknown said...

Have you tried the "Quarters" Game? No, not the college version. The version we used to do as kids where Mom would give out a quarter for the first one of us to find a landmark. I tried it with my kids and, well let's just say a quarter doesn't mean a whole lot to them. Had to jump to a dollar to get their attention. Go figure.